Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lissen-sa-what....

Your daughter has Lissencephaly, her brain is smooth. That's all I remember the doctor saying,as my mind went blank.I can't even remember exactly how I felt in that moment.I watched the nurse hand my husband a few pieces of paper they printed off of the NINDS website.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/lissencephaly/lissencephaly.htm

I remember Bryan asking the Dr. if this is something that would affect her for the rest of her life,her answering yes and then walked away. After fighting my tears for a few minutes, her nurse handed me a tissue and said your daughter is obviously very loved and for that she is blessed....Blessed WTF do you mean blessed ! She handed me a tissue and says when you are calm you can hold your daughter.HELLO I want to hold her now ! So I wiped away my tears and held my little 3lb 9oz baby girl.



We headed home not to long after that, seeing that it was Thanksgiving day and my mother was at home cooking away.When we got home, we went right to bed , held each other and cried. I didn't even care that is was Thanksgiving. I couldn't eat anyways. After awhile we got up and hit google pretty hard. Since we didn't really know what we were looking for, we didnt find very good info. Everything pretty much said your daughter will not develop past a 3 month old, then die before she reaches two years of age. 



Lilyana Bryleigh is now 9 months old and pretty damn heathly considering. Our daily lives consist of Dr. appts, therapies and the occasional hospital stay.